Building on this recent launch of the updated Market-Based Programming (MBP) in WASH Technical Guidance for Practitioners, these webinars will provide practical guidance and use participatory methods to facilitate and support WASH national coordination teams and key implementing partners to develop markets-based approaches as part of the humanitarian response plan 2022. These webinars are intended for: National WASH Coordinators, Co-Coordinators, National Information Managers and representatives from key WASH implementing agencies. Participants will reflect on opportunities and challenges of market-based programming in their countries and improve understanding of existing projects.
Why these webinars?
Grand Bargain signatories committed to increase the use and coordination of Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA), recognizing it as a more flexible and dignified modality of providing humanitarian assistance with increased effectiveness and efficiency. CVA, including multipurpose cash assistance (MPCA) is one form of MBP, along with market support and market development. MBP is now recognized as an effective tool to achieve the same impact as direct WASH programming, while minimizing disruptions to markets and maximizing program efficiency. When scaled-up, MBP can also increase resilience of WASH markets. This is why WASH practitioners, under the principle of Do No Harm, should always be ‘market aware’ and consider both the negative and positive impacts a program can have on local markets and the market environment.
Since 2016, the Global WASH Cluster has put considerable effort into building the evidence base, developing guidance and building the capacity of WASH partners in cash and market approaches for WASH in emergencies. While some WASH national coordination platforms have made considerable progress in integrating MBP in their programming, a great number of platforms are in the early stages of adopting this programming approach or have not started using it yet. The proposed series of three country support webinars is targeting this latter category.
Each of the following webinars will be 75-minutes in length, and will focus on humanitarian practitioners working in specific countries.
Please only register for the webinar that corresponds with the country you are working in. See details below.
- Webinar 1 on September 29, 2021 at 2:00pm CET (8:00am ET).
- In French. This webinar is aimed for humanitarian practitioners working in Central African Republic, Mali, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Madagascar, Chad and Niger.
- Webinar 2 on October 6, 2021 at 4:00pm CET (10:00am ET).
- In English, French, and Spanish. This webinar is aimed for humanitarian practitioners working in Ecuador, Venezuela, Columbia, Honduras and Haiti.
- Webinar 3 on October 13, 2021 at 11:00am CET (5:00am ET).
- In English, Arabic and Portuguese. This webinar is aimed for humanitarian practitioners working in Myanmar, Sudan, Libya, OPT, Bangladesh, Ethiopia and Mozambique.